Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Triangle Fire

From Rum, Romanism, and Rebellion

Sweatshop Garments Drag All Of Us Down referenced the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, which I remember learning about when I visited a museum in upstate NY as a teenager (I think it was by "the Egg"). I'd been to the museum as a child, so it was strange to come back in a taller/bigger body and look at things from that vantage point. I also felt very fascinated by the exhibit, in a terrible way.

Some things online about garment workers who survived the Triangle Shirtwaist fire in 1911:

My First Job - Rose Cohen
Rose Cohen & Isidore Wegodner

~~~~~~~

The Sweatshops Garments article also mentioned three more recent garment factory fires:

7 people died in a fire at Smart Fashion Export in Bangladesh on Jan. 26, 2013

112 died in a fire at Tazreen Fashions in Bangladesh on Nov. 24, 2012

250+ died at Ali Enterprises in Pakistan (and there were also 25 deaths in a fire at a shoe factory on the same day?) on Sept. 11, 2012




No comments: