Friday, March 01, 2013

Salad for breakfast

I'm encouraged when I read that there's this national movement that shows that people care about improving their health (eating right, exercising) and getting a good education:

“As I told these kids, I am them,” said the first lady. “So it is a very passionate thing for me because I think all of these kids are special. Every single one of them has the potential of being president or first lady but they’ve got to own their own power and start understanding that they’ve got to have control over the things they can control. And getting an education is one of those things.”

True, getting an education is important. But, in order to achieve that "education" part, might it not be better to drive down these kinds of statistics?

"In 2010, the Department of Justice estimated that 25 percent of college women "will be victims of rape or attempted rape before they graduate within a four-year college period," and that schools with more than 6,000 students 'average one rape per day during the school year.'"

I think that doing more to eliminate this sickness in our culture could do as much to help the brilliant woman who wishes to achieve the status of "First Lady" as it could to benefit the exceptional man who aspires to become the nation's first "First Gentlemen."

No comments: