Friday, March 29, 2013

isn't it nostalgic...

... girdles...


From http://homepage.ntlworld.com/davesplace/fitting.htm

~~~~~

"But why should I be bothering with this sausage casing when I weigh a grand total of a hundred and two pounds?

I bother because being thin has nothing to do with it. A girdle is a symbolic garment, and unless I want to be regarded as a child or a slut I have to put it on. When I go out with girlfriends in the daytime, I may choose to be more comfortable in only a garter belt, a device with four long, wiggly elastics that dangle down my thighs like hungry snakes lunging at my stockings. When I'm with a boy, however, it would be unthinkable--it would be downright indecent-to let him see my rear end jiggle or let him notice that it has two halves. (All males are called "boys," no matter what their age, so long as they're single.) My backside is supposed to be molded in a rigid piece that divides into two legs, like a walking clothespin.

Besides, if don't wear a girdle every day, the older girls warn me, I'm going to "spread." Spreading is somehow related to letting my flesh hang loose, which is in turn related to the idea of the "loose" woman, and none of us wants to be considered loose. A man doesn't buy a cow if he can get milk for free, our mothers tell us in dire tones."


-- Joan Gould, "Binding Decisions"

http://www.wvup.edu/rphillips/Binding%20Decisions.pdf

No comments: