Thursday, October 02, 2008

Musical interruptions

A purely instrumental version of O Mio Babbino Caro (like the one at the beginning of A Room With a View) interrupted my sleep one morning and made me cry. It kept playing over and over, the same part, and I was like, I can't believe it. At any other time of the day, would that have happened? Or maybe it was just at that time, on that particular day? In different times and in different places, we are different people. "Well, it's a very moving piece of music," a friend said when I told her. This version is not like that one at all. It reminds me of a time in Seattle when I saw a master class, which was GREAT (and I hope I get to do it again sometime). Also, I have liked listening to the Luray Caverns organ version of the Moonlight Sonata (I think?) in my car, sometimes. This version is nothing like it!

No comments: