Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Should we read this book?

I asked, after I forwarded the Ursula K. Le Guin review to some people. I remember reading The Tombs of Atuan when I was little. My mother's boyfriend had the trilogy. Or else it was at my grandmother's house. Anyway, reading that review made me feel more into reading the book(s).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The other night, one of my friends, who likes science and sci-fi, was telling me about Akbar (was it before or after a history lesson by a waitress which included an account of coke bottles being pushed into people--she used me as an example, just for the full effect, I guess!) In spite of this stark interruption, I was still trying to describe a church cake walk, "it's kind of like musical chairs." The reason I got on the topic of cakewalks was because of remembering an argument about my grandmother not wanting to leave the picnic and then of course all the cakes that were won got brought home, and the frustrated relative feels hugely oppressed. "Take some back to your father! He'll love chocolate cake." I was thinking about family history, traits and personalities after listening to some old medieval tales. Those Northern peoples developed some strong-willed ways of behaving!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Recently, as I was listening to a lecture series, I became somewhat captivated by one on Njal's Saga. The female character discussed in the lecture embodies some violent qualities. If her husband slaps her; she kills him. This happens again and again. Finally she marries a guy who is a great warrior but is not as tough as the others. However, as I understand it, she does arrange the usual punishment for him, but he kind of "takes the hit" or accepts it. He's sort of Jesus-y, maybe. And she's the "evil temptress." Well, it is not exactly feminist, but there was some kind of good message in the story about ending the cycle of violence by ceasing retaliation. This intrigued me; I might have to re-listen to the lecture. Or actually find a copy of it to read. (Arrrgh. So many books in the world!)

No comments: