Sunday, October 19, 2008

Kvenland

After it being brow-beaten into me from childhood on one side of the family that I am GermanGermanGerman (rumors of French ancestry offended certain relatives, even though it involved interesting stories about people fleeing religious persecution) I am now being informed via e-mail by my sister that on the other side of the family, through our grandfather she traced folks from Rappahanock, Virginia in the 1600s, whose ancestors were from Wales (including one "Sir William the Extravagant"), possibly a saint(?) who was friends with William the Conquerer(?) and a woman named Isabel De Clare who was a descendant of Charlemange. And even further back, in the "dark ages," there is royalty from Kvenland! I looked at that site and the first thing I said to myself was "Holy ****, runes." Pagan, pagan, pagan. Maybe I won't get rid of those old Led Zeppelin CDs afterall...

No comments: