Monday, June 14, 2010

Hear ye, hear ye

Tonight I went to the bookstore and read the second half of Persepolis. (Sorry first half. I didn't plan on doing it. I couldn't find Yarn. I will get to your first half, too, I promise.) I read a bit of Jesus Land, which is like complete proof of how it could be an awful life in America. I was thinking of my FB friend again when I got home, of how I'd missed a day of English when they were talking about gender roles and it had been reported back to me that he said, snickering, he was glad that I, "that feminist chick" wasn't there in class and I thought "why you little..." Even now! And when I came in I asked my mother about the HBO vampire show, "True Blood." She said it was awful, and she left and let her boyfriend watch it by himself after a few minutes. It sounded so. "Definitely a man's show," she said. I said I was reminded of how the artist said that after the birth of her daughter she noticed all this horrible misogyny and did covers of songs for her "Strange Little Girls" album. I said I imagine a lot of the film industry is a bunch of men and a few women who never speak up for feminist ideals. I said maybe I should if I live in LA. (I don't know. Maybe. Also though, maybe I should just get into being a more happy organic gardener type or something.) And then I started singing "such a cute puppy, such a cute puppy..." to the cute puppy, 'til he got bite-y. I was singing to the tune of "Bug a Martini." Now my cocktail (a margarita) awaits!
~~~~~
Oh, and then I listened to Bachelorette!
And now to Mipa(?) A friend said this is kind of like a Ukraninian version of No Doubt's "I'm Just a Girl," lyrically.
~~~~~
This evening is ending oddly with an old movie. Splendor In The Grass. We have evolved from a dysfunctional society. That little wikipedia entry doesn't even begin to touch on the sordidity. And oh, creepiness. 20 years later Natalie Wood drowned off a yacht called "The Splendor." Well. It's over now. And it is a worthwhile movie to watch. I'm into old movies lately. Good.
~~~~~
The quality of light interests me lately. In the park, or through the lens of the camera on my phone. And movie set lighting. The opening scene of Rebel Without a Cause. It's like urban(?) night but deserted and weird and bright. Were some places once safer at night? And did people dress that way, and speak that way. Natalie Wood is crying. Women cry a lot in these movies and men don't. I say to my friend that it's funny, it's okay for all beings to cry, but it's like we had to put on these costumes for a while. And the costumes say women cry excessively and men not enough.
He says, "It is funny."
"Do you think I'm funny?" asks James Dean.

No comments: