Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Sojourners

What do you do when some of your family was not related to you and perhaps you'll never see them again? Like the Canadian woman who kept us at her house when our mother was on business trips. Like a son of two Norwegian immigrants who was a father figure for a while. Like the uncle I had for 19 years who was American, but also from a different culture because he was black. "Hello, beautiful!" was the first thing he'd always say to us. Who else in my life commands that phrase like him, in my memory? I think one of the things you can do is appreciate things they shared with you about their upbringing and culture. "Love the sojourner...for you were sojourners" was the biblical theme of my baptismal program, which my grandmother saved for me. Our spirits are sojourning in these bodies.
Biblical views of sojourners.

No comments: