Thursday, December 11, 2008

Grocery shopping...

Me today: standing in front of an aisle of bags of dried beans, comparing prices. Ignoring the sounds of kids' voices behind me, completely (and I must say, almost contentedly) absorbed in this task. Startlingly, I became aware of a little face leaning into my field of vision, peering up at me with intense curiosity. I felt strangely scrutinized. Then I gave him a little smile. He smiled back and ran off (with his brother?) to their parents. I felt much happier after this. A little face of curiosity came over to look at me! Why? In a lot of stores around here, it is more common to hear people speaking Spanish or Korean. I should learn more of those languages
________________________

A few months ago, when I was backing out my car, I heard people shouting in another language, and stopped. An older lady (maybe Korean?) came running behind my tire and scooped up a little terrier dog.
The next morning, after parallel-parking my car, a good half hour's drive away from where we live, I found an animal bone resting on a part of the hood, just below the windshield.
________________________
Once, when I was in the grocery store, I saw a lady behind the counter yelling at some customers because they only spoke Spanish. I thought "Well, I could intervene there," but something told me not to. Still, it made me feel anxious. I went around the corner and then came back to see if she was still yelling at them. A kind of breakthrough had obviously been made, despite the language barrier, because they were all laughing. I felt much better seeing them all laughing than I would have if I'd "rescued" the situation. Sometimes that is the good that comes of not interrupting people.

No comments: