Saturday, April 16, 2016

Moments in a life

By Carla Ciccone:
"When I was five, I watched a neighbourhood boy tear Lanette Ariana limb from limb. I didn’t scream or stop him. I just wept over my beloved, dismembered Cabbage Patch Kid. Once I calmed down, my dad told me not to take shit from any man and toughen up, lest I be eaten alive by the doll-murdering vultures of the world.
Two decades later, I’m failing miserably at heeding this life lesson as I stare at the blue-lit stage below. My petrified body is betraying me. The bandleader sings, 'Thought I made a stand, only made a scene,' and I clench my fists to keep them from shaking. When I open them, the bloody half moons on my palms remind me nails can be weapons, but I’m using them wrong."
http://www.chatelaine.com/news/features/i-tried-to-warn-women-about-jian-ghomeshi-and-it-nearly-destroyed-my-life/

No comments: