Thursday, October 08, 2009

The evening's dose of humor

Was to be gotten at the bookstore cafe table which actually still had a chair (why did the staff stack chairs so early? Why does the library close at 6 pm on Thursday?) I sat and read this book: I'm Down by Mishna Wolff. Aw, memories of my own 3rd and 4th grade experiences around Seattle. Peechees! "DANG" and "PSYCH!" Double Dutch. Value Village. I wonder if there will be any episodes on the playground involving kids at the tetherball pole, or picking up glass for the playground teachers. Hopefully no one will throw a chunk of concrete at their playmate's head. (That happened at a daycare I attended.) I wonder how old the author is.
~~~~~
I remember a day I came to school with no lunch money. Somehow I ended up talking to the principal. She smiled and explained to me that I didn't qualify for free lunch, so I would have to go without one, but suggested I ask if one of my classmates would share their lunch with me. Back to the cafeteria... I was the new kid and didn't really have any good friends yet. Glumly, I thought that maybe I could ask someone for the shredded iceburg lettuce and peanuts that the lunches came with, because no one ever ate them. (Hello, what were they thinking? Peanut allergies!) I still remember the stares I got. Then one of them pushed her plastic container at me. "Girl, you eat all the peanuts you want."
~~~~~
Hotel is in my head for some reason. "Exit 75, I'm still alive."

No comments: