Saturday, November 22, 2008

Songs and Context

Songs like Cinderella Under My Umbrella and Get Low (ha, penguins) sound a lot better at a place like Lace. Maybe when I am there, I feel like I'm getting the same amount of pleasure from that music as an average guy gets in the "normal" world. Because it's a different energy. Because a lot of girls are dancing and they like each other and are not being lame. Because a few guys are in there and they also seem pretty happy. (By contrast, on the way home, I almost drove into the middle of what seemed to be a fight between two groups of young men while I was turning around in a suburban mall.) I really enjoyed myself. Good, too, because on my way there, I was feeling nauseated and kind of in a foul mood. I felt a little weird at first when I got there, & I was definitely not one of those who was getting all crazy on the dance floor. But everyone was so nice and friendly. Very diverse mix of people, and a very warm and personable lady just opened it. I looked in a mirror and saw one personality that is a white girl with a weird thing about Thoreau and some other people and that is okay. I felt as if I were knitting together shreds of self-esteem. Often going out seems like a frivolity, but I am more motivated to make money if I can spend it in that kind of environment. And I think my everyday life should be more like that! Happiness.

No comments: