Tuesday, September 29, 2026

I think the time for a cultural shift in values is now.

X: It feels like something's happening now that I wish had happened years ago because of how people are talking about the Cornell case. 

Y: But why now? What about that guy at Stanford? What about Bill Cosby? 

X: That was different because it was one person. People could point at them and say those are the bad apples. But this is about groups of people and people are talking about how men collectively as a group act and how it's harmful. It's the seven guys who raped the girl. But it's also the other guys in the fraternity who got the text, the fifty who didn't do anything to stop it. And it's the men in charge at the school, and how they acted like it wasn't very important, and they didn't care about it. It's about how a lot of men have been behaving collectively about this topic, and a lot of people are finally speaking up about it and criticizing it and saying it's wrong. 

Also, I know this is not necessarily how other people feel, and I know that it's not on purpose, but do you know how I feel when somebody or when groups of people collectively decide that, say, an athlete who is very rich and supported by our patriarchal society is accused of raping somebody and they decide to say that she lied and that he's the good one. That to me feels not that different from the fifty other ones who didn't bother to stop something bad happening. They didn't rape somebody, but they also didn't care enough to stop it from happening or to acknowledge her as a human being.

I understand that it's not exactly the same thing but emotionally and psychologically that's how it feels to me. It feels like a lot of people are not that different from those fifty others in the fraternity who just couldn't be bothered to care.

And it's been going on like this for so long, and this is the first time people seem to be collectively standing up together to say that's not good enough, and human beings in our society deserve better than this.

Y nods, either in recognition or in agreement. 

Finally, feeling more respected. Finally, feeling more believed!

No comments: