Saturday, September 28, 2024

Peace Studies

"Your 7 October happens to us every couple of years. You are the ones who have set the example."

~ Christine

"You know, I have to swallow a frog right now."

~ Orna

Christine (Palestinian) & Orna (Israeli)

"Many people would..."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/sep/13/israel-palestine-7-october-gaza-orna-guralnik

"What impact have these conversations had? Christine and Orna sent their reflections, eight months on.

Christine:

I must admit that my political beliefs have not changed since speaking with Orna. But the function of our conversations was not to indoctrinate each other into thinking the same, but to open ourselves up to the humanity of the 'other.' It was daunting to confront narratives that justify my own dehumanisation. Orna’s desire for safety juxtaposed against my demands for freedom and return made for a volatile recipe. But when continually engaging with empathy and kindness, something started to shift. My so-called 'enemy' became a person with her own fears, dreams and histories. There is so much to be learned, but how can I know if I don’t ask? I now see Orna as my friend, one that I disagree with but have grown to love. Connection under systems of separation is a form of resistance in and of itself, and I will continue to resist until Palestine is free.

Orna:

In the months since we spoke, I have been deeply troubled by the erosion in people’s capacity to invest in dialogue and repair, and in contrast found my conversations with Christine an ongoing source of hope in humanity. Rather than villainise and reject each other, we have shown up with a steadfast commitment to offer compassion and do our best to imagine the world through each other’s eyes. Christine’s fierce commitment to her people was always matched with a gentle, soulful stance towards me, and by extension 'my people,' even during the most difficult of conversations. Her relentless curiosity made it possible to never feel like we reached a dead end. Our conversations have required me to withstand a great deal of guilt, shame, tension and internal conflict. And to get clearer about my own ideological unconscious. And yet, I would much rather suffer that than lose hope in the human capacity to choose the right and ethical path."

"Many people would throw a tantrum now"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/sep/13/israel-palestine-7-october-gaza-orna-guralnik

No comments: