Saturday, September 28, 2024

Part IV of the piece. Looked up "gelid."

"A boy whose name in English would have been Richard asked me to call him that through the interpreter. He didn't want his Polish name; he'd thrown it away. He said he wanted me to accompany him to one of the huge gardens I had noticed as we approached the mansion. I thought he was nine or so. I was told he was fourteen.

We went through the French doors of the dining room. It was nearly dark now, but there was a rose-colored light on some of the mountain slopes. He held my hand as we walked along a partly cleared path, snow-laden branches of shrubbery leaning toward us, the bare branches of winter-blackened trees above. It was a somber, frozen, lonely place, the gelid heart of winter. Then he ran a few feet ahead of me and, with his arms and legs, brushed the snow from what I mistook as a column that had once supported a mythological or heroic statue. It was a very large bird bath."

~ Paula Fox

"Children of the Tatras"

The Coldest Winter: A Stringer in Liberated Europe

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/106394.The_Coldest_Winter

No comments: