Thursday, August 06, 2015

Queen Mary

She's my friend...


It may seem strange that a Bob Dylan song should play in my head...

I have been on a mission! Last night, I e-mailed libraries in four different states to recommend The Female Assumption: A Mother's Story even though all I've read so far is the Amazon previews.
Today I got three thank you replies...all from libraries in Virginia!

From the previews:


“The beautiful title of Mother brings visions of heartfelt greeting cards and the sweet giggles of babes. That life-altering, all encompassing title reflects a role revered by many. But there I was on the date in question, dreaming about checking out because I was so completely burned out by all the responsibilities places on my shoulders.”

“I do not blame motherhood. I am simply describing a reality. To put it bluntly, motherhood is damn hard. That’s a sentiment that won’t sell many greeting cards.”

“My own mother devoted many years at home caring for five children…I don’t remember any dialogue with my mom about the challenges, sacrifices, or heavy-lifting of motherhood. I guess you could say that my mom passed along the proverbial ‘rose-colored motherhood glasses’ to me; the ones she received from her mother before her.”

“In this book, I am going to say some things that I wish I’d heard while growing into the woman that I am today.”

“Motherhood should not be treated as a mandate; something to be checked off the to-do list in order to be successful. Women are complete beings. Period.”

http://www.amazon.com/The-Female-Assumption-Mothers-Motherhood/dp/1500933058#reader_1500933058

No comments: