Monday, May 19, 2014

Awake but want to sleep

Read some more of Otherhood before I went to sleep last night and woke up too early. Otherhood really bothers me. On one hand, I find some interesting critiques of assumptions about women "of a certain age" who haven't become mothers yet. (And I just said "yet!" Is that telling?) But, huge swathes of the book seem to be dedicated to chronicling some upper class women's incredibly vapid conversations about dating. I am about halfway through it.  I will continue reading it, but I am less than captivated by most of the dating stories...Oh, good grief.

From a far more articulate review:

"I think that Otherhood would greatly benefit from a lot more psychological content in place of the innumerable girls’ night out rants with Notkin’s glamorous, successful friends."

http://christiethinks.wordpress.com/2014/02/18/otherhood-melanie-notkin/

No comments: