Thursday, May 22, 2014

Song commute / baby wait

"Schoolyard Maypole Dance," May 4, 1946 by Doris Lee

My mind might be confused. My friend is in labor. I was playing around with the radio on the way home & heard the old 1960s "If you're going to San Francisco be sure to wear some flowers in your hair..." song. Then it faded out and got replaced with

Baby, baby, baby
I got a good reason
for you to come around...


And then the San Francisco song came back.
As soon as I came home, I looked up the lyric.

It's  from The Babies ~ Baby.

Then I looked up the show. (The Vegetable Garden, with The Gardener)

It said:

5:55pm
The Babies “Get Lost”
And before that 

5:54pm
Foxygen “SAN FRANCISCO”


Those are different songs! But maybe I heard them too?




and I am so much older now
my brother is a soldier now
I can't see him anyhow on hilltops in the wind


The last person I spoke with before my commute was a young man who just couldn't concentrate on his writing assignment about bullying and said he needed to call the VA...I was driving down the highway listening to something instrumental at around 5:30....

was it

Turn on the Sunlight






(Who you are? "I think you're bi-straight" said my Ukrainian friend. Actually, she's American, but her parents are from the Ukraine. What she said made sense to a voice in my head...reasoning: when you're little, you like girls. You get the feeling you're supposed to. You have your closest friendships with girls. You see that boys try to belittle girls. You want to stick up for girls. Girls are the best. Then...years and changes....You see another friend, your most conservative close friend, kiss a girl. "STRAIGHT GIRLS!" they say in the club about you and your other friend. NOT her.  But now, your friend who kissed a girl is in labor. She is giving birth to a girl. "I think you're bi-straight,"said my Ukrainian-born-in-America friend. It may be so.)



Fading light and crickets.

No comments: