Friday, May 09, 2014

Futile Ramblings?

From: http://navigating-fairyland.blogspot.com/2014/05/youth-legislature-rant.html

"It was all fairly subtle, and it might just be me looking too far into things, but I noticed the differences between the way guys were treated compared to us.

For one thing, they would get called on before any of us girls to speak in the House, and were often the ones making all the arguments. Thankfully, our Speaker of the House was a good friend of mine (and my sister's boyfriend), and he called on me frequently."

~~~~

"A girl from my school spoke almost as much as me, and I heard comments about how she is a 'bitch' and apparently 'really annoying' for expressing her opinions so much.

At the same time, the Republican minority leader (a guy) spoke far more than we both did and was commended for his opinions."

~~~~

"Another thing that I noticed was the way the guys ruled the political parties and made all the choices (just like in real politics) while the girls just let them figure it out. Some of the girls in my committee didn't say a thing, and opted instead to run errands.

Talking to them afterwards, they voiced some good opinions about the bills, and I asked why they didn't say them. They said they didn't know."

~~~~~

"Men aren't ruling our country because they took it- they're ruling because we gave it to them."

http://navigating-fairyland.blogspot.com/2014/05/youth-legislature-rant.html

No comments: