Tuesday, February 07, 2006

"Home"

Here's an apt description:

"I love home. I consider it a vastly superior place to any other. At the same time, I have moved, on average, once every 9 months over the past 34 years. I am also an immigrant, and before I was an immigrant I was migratory. I am quick to accept a place as home. A motel room, after five minutes, is home. Home means relief and privacy to me. I often think about the places I have lived, and the places people I know have lived; I never quite understand why we don’t all still live there. But I’ve been happy everywhere. Each state I have lived in has engaged and stimulated me. Emigration is like dying and being born again: everything is a bonus though sometimes not quite real."

Taken from an interview with M. Byrne at http://www.chicagopostmodernpoetry.com/mairead.htm

No comments: