Thursday, October 03, 2019

Now is then and now is now

This Is What High Schoolers Like Me Are Learning... by J. Melnik

"My peers and I fear coming forward to report any forms of sexual violence because we have no effective recourse. When I was in 9th grade, I was sexually harassed by a group of boys. When I came forward to report my harassers, I was scrutinized by my peers, who told me that I was 'ruining their reputations' and that it was 'just a joke.' I regretted my decision almost instantly. My decision to report came so easily when I was calling 911 in a panicked fear that somebody was violating the safety of my home. But I did not have the same confidence reporting my harassers."

~ J. Melnik

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5bacce00e4b091df72ee29a6?test_ad=readmo_test

"I will not be silenced. I will not let my younger sister be told that her experiences should be swept under the rug so that her male friends can get their prep school scholarships and their football scholarships, while she sits in silence and fear of coming forward.

Adults; The #TimesUp for you to address these issues in your young people’s lives. Silence is complicity. This issue is not a liberal or conservative issue; it is a moral issue. We are all watching history being written before our eyes; please do not be on the wrong side of it."

~ J. Melnik

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5bacce00e4b091df72ee29a6?test_ad=readmo_test

No comments: