Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Mary Rowlandson

"I can remember the time, when I used to sleep quietly without workings in my thoughts, whole nights together, but now it is other wayes with me. When all are fast about me, and no eye open, but his who ever waketh', my thoughts are upon things past, upon the awfull dispensation of the Lord towards us; upon his wonderfull power and might, in carrying of us through so many difficulties, in returning us in safety and suffering none to hurt us. I remember in the night season, how the other day I was in the midst of thousands of enemies and nothing but death before me: It is then hard work to perswade my self, that ever I should be satisfied with bread again. But now we are fed with the finest of the Wheat, and as I may say, With honey out of the rock:"

Quote from Soveraignty and Goodness of God by Mary Rowlandson

http://narcissus.umd.edu/eada/html/display.jsp?docs=rowlandson_narrative.xml&action=show

No comments: