Friday, April 22, 2022

Will they want to listen?

"Warren told me about a pregnant woman she encountered walking in Cambridge. The woman told her, 'I have $120,000 in student loan debt. I only ever borrowed 40 [thousand]. But I fell behind. … I was sick and then my mother got sick.' In other words, Warren said: 'Life happened.'"

Warren went to the University of Houston when it was $50 a semester. 'Five zero,' she said. Her father worked as a janitor and her mother answered telephones at Sears, but Warren could afford college as a part-time waitress. 'That opportunity does not exist today,' Warren told me. 'The idea that young people today should be shackled by debt just to try to get an education so they can try to compete is fundamentally wrong.'"

"Jean Guerrero: Elizabeth Warren knows how Democrats can win the midterms. It starts with canceling student loan debt" | Nation | fltimes.com

No comments: