Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Singers sings

Today I have to admit, I found myself, well, perhaps, almost cackling? When I read about Ms. Perry's parents traumatized reaction to her "I Kissed A Girl," song. (Although the depiction of the father as a "reformed acid-dropping hippie" kinda makes his shock seem a little disingenuous.) Initially I wasn't too fond of it, just because it seemed like she was probably just singing it because some music industry types were like "girls kissing girls is HOT." (Eyes roll.) Yeah, way to go. On the other hand, singing stuff to shock your overly religious and closed minded parents somehow makes it seem kinda better...This knowledge is thanks to these stories about Bad Dads and Rad Dads. It does seem like Ms. Amos had some pretty good parents. I mean it's kinda a killer combination. You rebel against their ideology but overall they support and encourage your talent. Perfect. You know, you'd like to think that every really talented person would make it even if their parents didn't support them, and it can happen, but honestly, I don't think it always works that way...Although I knew that Julian Lennon's Too Late For Goodbyes is basically about his dad, I didn't know John Lennon had written a song to his own dad...I'll Be Back. I like that one very much.

No comments: