Tuesday, May 03, 2011

All this music stuff!

Thoughts on Major Tom (Coming Home): I'll wager there's ton of people in some way connected with the military who feel an affinity for the song. It sounds like it could refer to something one's dad might do, especially if you're forced to wait half of your life at a young age for a homecoming. And even a tiny child can remember the first delicious meal of a tuna fish sandwich and fritos brought home from the airport.
Years later, there was Camel Rock, Really Cool Old Indian Ruins and a not as thrilling but still rather fun science museum to visit. (The adults were more excited about the science museum, however.)
"Oh, Star Wars" the adults would say, knowingly.
Maybe some of our parents were at that party where the new chief of staff sang New York New York. Another classmate! Maybe one of these days one of them will become president? Or maybe not.
It kind of makes me think of a cream cheese commercial.
It kind of makes me remember...actually I heard a different version of "I have a pretty girl/she is an army girl..."
Actually it wasn't really sung like that.
The version I heard was..."I have a pretty girl / she is a NEW YORK girl."
A NEW YORK girl.
You know when you drive around with the NY license plate and you're out of state and other New Yorkers honk at you?
That's a nice feeling.
Is that why they charge you $$ if you don't send it back.
I must say, I feel quite happy that Loretta Sanchez has continued to bother the military about some things since I think they deserve to be bothered about them. When I saw her on TV a time ago, I liked her questions a lot more than the female JAG lawyer's responses to them.
There's a version of Mary on Tales of a Librarian.
Back aches...it ain't fair, it ain't right!
Plans to make a more intimate acquaintance with Icy Hot, a hard and vaccumed floor, and child's pose. And eat plant food.
Also, at the end of the Major Tom (Coming Home) video, it's kinda like the young military wives are singing with burgers and drinks from the PX as the ship falls burning to the ground.

No comments: