Thursday, April 24, 2014

Cavorting with the healthcare gods

Visited two buildings in the morning and was fortunate in finding parking at both places...passed through security, and went up to the information desk.

I told them that I had applied for healthcare in December through Covered CA and received information that I was eligible for Medi-Cal.  The lady asked me to write down my address to figure out which district was designated for my city. (There were two.)

As she looked up my zipcode in a book of maps, I saw a sheet in her inbox that listed my city under one of the districts and pointed at it. "My city is listed here. Does that make a difference?"

"No," she didn't even bother to look at it. She handed me a slip marked with the name of the other district.

"You can reapply for Medi-Cal, but keep in mind that processing the application can take up to 45 days. We'll take you as a courtesy, but for future reference, next time you should go to Pasadena."

Then she directed me toward lobby C, for the El Monte people. So I went, with my little slip marked "El Monte" and "Medi-Cal" and "Courtesy."

There were many people at many different stations waiting on others. I saw a line of about 20 people and figured I might have to go wait in it.

"Do I need to wait in line to apply for Medi-Cal?" I asked a secretary. She nodded.

I got in line. More people quickly filed behind me. There was a young mother with an actually kind of cute baby right in front of me. There was a mother with a crying baby on the other side. I stood in line and read my book for a little while, but I was like, what grim, placid hell is this?

No comments: