Thursday, April 24, 2014

Cavorting with the healthcare gods (part ii)

When I'd asked around about other people's experiences, one person told me he'd had success signing up at a clinic. I also ran into him at a little sidewalk folk music concert that evening. I hardly ever run into people from work where I live. So I was like, it's a sign! I reminded myself of this as I was waiting in line at DPSS.

I left and drove for about 20 minutes. I found parking at the clinic (YES! Thank you, parking gods.)

I walked in and the information desk directed me to a worker at a booth right away. NO LINES.

I pulled out all of my paperwork and explained my sad story to her. She was trying to tell me I needed to call another number.

I said "I've been told to call this and that number and I've tried so many and I can never get through and I want to don't want to call anyone anymore, I want to do this in person now."

She asked where I'd gotten my information from. I said I'd gotten some things from Covered CA and had also spoken to people at DPSS. A look of horror crossed her face.

"Oh, don't go to DPSS!"

She said "Do you have your case number?"

I said "I'll show you what I have," and as I pulled out the letter I got all the way back in January, she stuck her pink cell phone in my face.

"Give him your case number."

Someone on the other line was asking what I needed. I was like, "Um....well I'm visiting a clinic and talking to a counselor and she just told me to give you my case number..."

He waited, saying nothing. I gave him my number.

Over the phone, it sounded like he was doing lots of clicking around on his computer. After a few minutes, he told me that I had gone from "Pending" to "Eligible!" He said I could check online and see that my status had been changed.

He told me that I'd have to wait to get more information in the mail because they were still processing me, but if I went somewhere in the county for services, I would probably be okay.

I asked who I should contact if I wanted to talk to someone about receiving my information, and he was like "I don't understand your question."

I said "I mean, aren't I supposed to receive a Medi-Cal card? Who should I talk to if weeks go by and I don't get anything? Should I call the county?"

He said I could call back at that number (and then he gave it to me) but remember not to panic, because it can take 30-90 days to receive the information.

I said "But I've been waiting since December."

He sounded annoyed and said "That's because it was processing" and reiterated that now it's been changed.

I said, "Well, thank you for doing that for me."

We hung up. The counselor told me that if I come in to a county clinic, they should be able to look it up and accept me under Medi-Cal. She also said that in May, Medi-Cal would probably start offering some dental services.

I told her I was grateful for the help she had given me. I was definitely happier as I drove away. The music on the radio, though (I think it was the middle part of Stravinsky's Rites of Spring) gave the experience somewhat of an Orwellian feel...

My new online status!

Medi-Cal: Eligible – You can visit a doctor this month. Your local county office will contact you with more details within 30 days.

No comments: