Thursday, September 01, 2011

Bye t-shirt

Back to school...JC Penny has dropped a t-shirt for children that said "I'm too pretty to do homework so my brother has to do it for me." I read about that right before I watched two videos on a YT channel (Boyleheightsfilms.)
The first, Homeboys until the end, is a touching tribute by the homeboys to themselves and the priest that helped them. And maybe even to God. I watched it last night.
Today I felt like listening to Marys of the Sea. And I also watched the Homeboys...video, again, and then the second one on the channel, which is called I DO IT LIKE I DO IT. I thought, hmmm...well, maybe it's satire? A commentary on how it's not cool to view women that way? I kept waiting for the indication that there was some self-reflection going on about that, but it did not come. (Except for "Fallen Angel" scrolling across the screen at the end, maybe?)
Why is it so hard to integrate the idea of respect for all? And make room for females to have actual voices and not just be viewed as possessions and side kicks?
So, since I was listening to Marys of the Sea again, I also think that as much as some people have made fun of the artist for her attentions to Mary Magadalene, Corn Mother, etcetra, (especially in The Beekeeper and Piece By Piece) that level of discomfort seems to not just be a question of taste. It's also a reflection of how hard it is, for some reason, to change the centuries old structures in church, and government, and life.

No comments: