Friday, December 29, 2006

mmmm.

Michigan--I am surprised and very excited because my aunt picked a really good place for to have dinner at tonight. Blue Nile I just realized that for some reason, haven’t tasted Ethiopian food in years, and I LOVED it when I lived in Seattle. My university was on the edge of a neighborhood with a large Ethiopian population. I used to tutor some ESL kids from Ethiopia once a week at a local school. One girl in particular, Halima, was quite strong-willed, mischievious, and preferred talking about other topics, playing with my hair, etc. But she was actually kind of sad when I left (graduated and took a trip to Peru) so I sent her a postcard from Peru. Was happy to hear that the teacher gave it to her; it arrived during summer vacation, so that didn’t happen until the following school year. She must be grown-up by now...But it was an all too infrequent treat for me to eat at one of those four (yes, four!) Ethiopian restaurants within a span of about three blocks proximity of the university. Well that was back in 1999—has it really been so long since I’ve eaten Ethiopian food? I think so! Until tonight...

No comments: