Thursday, August 06, 2026

I finally made it back to listening to The Tenth Island while my hands are busy

"Nothing is as global as a California farm town." 

~ Diana Marcum

"The Tenth Island: Finding Joy, Beauty, and Unexpected Love in the Azores by Diana Marcum" | Goodreads

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/39975783-the-tenth-island

The only copy I could find in any local library was the audiobook on CD. That's sad because she's from around here. I'm ordering the paperback because I have to have it now. She describes newspapers getting their staff cut! It's also got stuff about the culture of Armenians and Iranians in California in the chapter I am listening to, and descriptions of food, and it makes me want to go to Glendale and eat Armenian food again, which is where I ate that kind of good food when I eloped! She makes references to a friend / crush she refers to as Manly Author, who is this guy:

"Water, Land and Power - Mark Arax" - Farm To Table Talk

https://farmtotabletalk.com/water-land-and-power-mark-arax/

I kind of feel like I wanted to learn more about about Diana Marcum after I read this by Bonnie Hearn Hill

"I loved Diana Marcum. Despite her brilliance, she was uncertain about everything from what to cook for dinner to what to write next. Although accepted to a major university, she had gone to work for Winchell’s Donuts in her teens to save her younger brother from the foster care system after the deaths of her adoptive parents. Diana was the little sister I didn’t know I needed. She filled a hole in my life I didn’t know was there."

"You Know Me Now" — HerStry

https://herstryblg.com/theme/2025/8/18/you-know-me-now

No comments: