Friday, July 24, 2026

Reading about the inventor of the "Guess Who" game.

"I moved in with Mr. And Mrs. Van Beek, with whom I would stay until Liberation Day, which in my case would be April 17, 1945. The Van Beeks had no children of their own and seemed happy to receive a "ready-made" child -- and an obedient one at that."

"Barend van Beek was the headmaster of the local Christian Elementary School. I would become like a son to him and he like a father to me. In the winter, we'd go skating together. Once a week, I visited Reverend Van Deelen's son Chris to play chess. Chris was my age and, like me, wasn't a farmer's son. 

I went to the same school as Chris did, for, unlike other children in hiding, I was able to go to school. It was all due to the fact that a few years earlier, after the German occupation, my father had failed to complete the required form concerning the origin of my grandparents."

Page 30 - 31

"We All Wore Stars: Memories of Anne Frank from Her Classmates by Theo Coster" | Goodreads


No comments: