1) Some scared white people who used to seem a lot kinder and friendlier are getting colder because they really don't want to talk about what's going on.
Okay, let's stop there.
Why don't they want to talk about what's going on?
We didn't have a problem talking about stuff like this when it was something farther removed from us in history.
These people are acting like prejudiced jerks and they don't want to admit it.
There's a difference between them and some other people who don't stress out about it as much as me, but have a kinder, gentler way of letting me know that they don't feel they are supposed to think about it as much.
Like I've had somebody say, genuinely, "It's not that I don't care. It's just that I don't feel like it's supposed to be my main focus of what I should be thinking about right now. Instead I feel like I'm supposed to focus on..."
You know what? I think that's a legitimate response.
But shutting down other people entirely?
That's what's really bad.
Maybe it's just unskilled.
Maybe a lot of the bad things that happen in the world, like genocide, are just because some people are simply scared and unskilled.
Maybe so.
No comments:
Post a Comment