Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Ah, very good.

"'After rewatching Hell House, I was sort of relieved that I couldn’t find a Hell House or Judgement House near me. I was also surprised about their lack of presence. Perhaps their popularity has started to wane. I’ll miss my chance to go again this year. Possibly, I’ll never attend. To be honest, I’m glad for the near miss. I’m uncertain that I could make it all the way through the tour without losing my temper. I’m not sure I want to be close enough to touch the suicide or abortion girls. I don’t want my entrance fee to support their vision of the world, and I definitely wouldn’t stay for the altar call. Instead, I’ll take my kids trick-or-treating. My oldest wants to be a black cat or a bunny, and my youngest a pirate. We’ll celebrate Halloween with candy, jack-o-lanterns, and traipsing through the neighbor together." 

~ Kelly J. Baker is a freelance writer with a Religious Studies PhD who covers higher education, gender, labor, motherhood, American religions, and popular culture. She is the author of Gospel According to the Klan: The KKK’s Appeal to Protestant America (2011) and The Zombies are Coming! (2013). She can be followed @kelly_j_baker. [1] Jason Bivins, The Religion of Fear: The Politics of Horror in Conservative Evangelicalism, (Oxford, 2008), 164.'"   

"Hell House" – Sacred Matters Magazine

https://sacredmattersmagazine.com/hell-house/

No comments: