Monday, May 20, 2019

Next time this topic reoccurs (again)

I'm going to ask the student

https://www.mhtf.org/2017/01/18/the-burden-of-infertility-global-prevalence-and-womens-voices-from-around-the-world/

Does anyone ever think of taking them out to dinner?

From https://www.mhtf.org/2017/01/18/the-burden-of-infertility-global-prevalence-and-womens-voices-from-around-the-world/ :

“Sometimes people will say, ‘ah, she’s like that, she doesn’t have children…you don’t have the feelings of a mothers so that’s why you say what you do.’” – Cameroon

“My brother-in-law said to us once without respect that we won’t know how to teach children since we do not have any. We felt insulted.” – China

“Hmm the people in my community are real gossips. They talk too much. They gossip a lot about it. Sometimes I pass by some places and all that I see is people pointing fingers at me.” – Ghana

“I like to be alone at home and do not like to go anywhere. A woman who does not have a child must stay at home.” – Iran

“Our culture demands that, for a woman to be socially acceptable, she should have at least one biological child.” – Kenya

“Now whenever I go to any family gathering, right away they ask me this question. It feels very strange. When someone comes to meet me at my house they ask the same question. I feel very hurt that why do people say this thing.” – Pakistan

“My depression is [primarily] because of my neighborhood. Whenever I socialize, they ask me questions like, ‘Don’t you have a child?’… If I say that I am trying to get a tube baby, it will fly around immediately and we will become a subject of gossip.” – Turkey

“My maternal instinct is being denied. It’s a slap in the face. I feel like I’m isolated in a prison; I have no one who understands how horrible this is. People don’t know what to say to you … I think I’m alternatively dealt with as either someone who has died or that [I] have a handicap.” – United States

~ S. Hodin

https://www.mhtf.org/2017/01/18/the-burden-of-infertility-global-prevalence-and-womens-voices-from-around-the-world/

No comments: