Friday, October 25, 2013

Weaning




Seinfield ~ Kramer and his cane

Today I saw a nurse practitioner. Found out that my immobility over the past 2 months has resulted in weight gain. She made not unkind yet oddly pointed suggestions about obtaining health insurance and seeing a good endocrinologist. Have to decide between Medi-Cal (newly available to more people starting next year) or Obamacare. Also was noticing that it is extremely jarring when flower shops advertise blooms for funerals alongside any sort of sign with exclamation points!!! Dear mind that sees a media world fogged with mind-numbing superficiality, I feel fatigued. That is why I'm going to get these eyes outside to see some nature tomorrow as I wean myself off the cane.

~~~~~

Meanwhile, the internet tells me about interesting writers.

"I saw that look many, many times at the wedding and it was… hard to take. It crushed whatever shreds of confidence I had mustered. This isn’t in my head. This isn’t poor self-esteem. This is what comes from years of being the fat one in the gorgeous family. I know the look well. For so long I’ve never talked about this. I suppose we should keep our shames to ourselves, but I’m bored with that. Silence hasn’t worked out that well.
Or maybe this is someone else’s shame and I’m just being forced to carry it.
I added salt and pepper and began to stir the sauce, let it simmer. I really dig Italian food." 

http://roxanegay.tumblr.com/post/64215351430/sharp-against-my-thumb

~~~~~

"It’s amazing how many narratives are driven by the image of a girl’s dead body, isn’t it? Where would network TV drama be without it? Sometimes the frequency, the simplicity, gets under my skin…The girl is usually barely developed as any more important than, say, the person who hands a drink out a fast food window."

Review of The Stud Book at

 http://therumpus.net/2013/10/the-rumpus-interview-with-monica-drake/

No comments: