Saturday, May 12, 2012

Children's book to read...

I want to read In The Night Kitchen. I never read it. I love that title.

Interesting quotes:

"Sendak's own childhood, like the ones he portrayed in his books, was fraught with peril, isolation and fear. It's appalling but not surprising that many adults have found his vision of childhood alarming and want to keep it from their innocent babes. Sendak's "In the Night Kitchen" is 25th on the American Library Assn.'s list of most frequently banned or challenged books".
(from Sendak Lives On...LA Times)

"His linework was elegant, sometimes even cute, but always honest. He was wise, and he never patronised any readers, adult or child. I devoured interviews with Sendak: he was a grumpy, Jewish, brilliant, wise contrarian and he didn't mellow as he aged. But then, he had never created mellow books. His coming out in 2008, age 80, was a final act of honesty.

Something Sendak once said is the epigraph of my next book. "I remember my own childhood vividly." he explained. "I knew terrible things. But I knew I mustn't let adults know I knew. It would scare them.""
(from My Hero...The Guardian)

No comments: