Friday, October 29, 2010

Language skills

Although I love the idea of being able to speak many languages, there was a time, when I was younger, when I went to the movies with friends, with a wonderful person I now live with, and the person I lived with at the time, who could be wonderful sometimes, but in this instance she particularly annoyed me. She'd had a 6 month study abroad period in Mexico, and I heard all about the upper class people with maids they had lived with, and all the expensive extracurricular activities the students got to enjoy. When she came back, she demonstrated her fluency, which in itself is not terrible, but the problem was, she did it a lot, almost to the point of being rude. He with whom I now reside has ancestry from Mexico but his parents were forced to stop speaking their native language, and are not fluent that way. Although he is not the kind of person to hold on to a grudge, I still remember feeling angry at what I felt to be our friend's insensitivity as he confided in me that he felt bad while she went on and on...anyway, water under the bridge at this point, but this article is so interesting and so, although I love the idea of speaking many languages, and I hope to be more fluent in the future, and I know it's complicated, and I don't want to trump on peoples' freedom of expression, I think this person makes interesting points. And so I post this link: I'm Sorry Whiteness You Can't Have Everything

No comments: