Friday, July 25, 2008

If it gives you a certain feeling...

then keep it. I was not especially entranced with this book when I was younger, but I didn't completely dislike it, either: A Gathering of Days. Immersion in the details of the natural surroundings of "New England"'s environment. Attention to spiritual and moral conduct. Formal, adult children (the person writing it is 13 years old but sounds much older). I will keep it.
It gave me a feeling, like, enjoying sunlight and someone baking bread in an oven made of stones in the woods. Like that would always be the primary picture of reality, even though there would also be times of death and winter, these would be mitigated by the quilts one could huddle under. But when I read this book, maybe I was on the West Coast and it was still the 1980s. Maybe it was around the time when I went clam-digging with my parents (i.e. my mother and her boyfriend) and envied (with overall good humor) a certain triumphant man (as did everyone on the beach) for his ability to extract a geoduck from the sand. (A feat which is impossible but possible.)

No comments: