Monday, November 15, 2004

Printing

My printer is fantastic.

I'm printing away little copies of poems from a little chapbook/zine thing I bought back in college. I had to choose between a few poets to do a presentation for a class. I decided to scrap the famous writers and do one on a writer that is not well known and publishes independently and means something personal to me. That would be the first book of poetry I ever bought (that I remember) when I was 19, and it was not for a class. I bought it at a music store in Washington D.C., by a club called The Black Cat. Its called Transient Songs by Amber Gayle, and her twin sister Stacy Wakefield. They grew up on Mercer Island in Washington state. I grew up on Vashon Island. A friend of mine, who at the time lived in Seattle but had family in Virginia, was surprised when he saw the book. He said he knew Amber. Since I had a crush on him at the time I was like "Oh! Why not buy a book of her poetry!" Or, maybe he said I should buy it and so I did. (I could see myself doing something obedient like that at that time) . And plus I really missed Seattle. I was going to school at a conservative all women's college in Virginia. So that would have been back in 1996? About this time of year too.

Tomorrow, I have to go and take in a stray cat I was thinking of adopting to be euthanised (it has a malignant tumor). And I've probably gone and gotten myself into one of those crushes on difficult and complicated people...whatever. My printer has run out of ink. It makes an interesting effect on some of the photography ( a photograph of a girl's hand and long strands of blond hair...) Also its cool to see the stamp of Knust, the Dutch company that published the book, on the inside flap, peeking from underneath the edges of the pages.

4 poems copied and 2 to go. Gotta go get pizza and buy an ink cartridge.

No comments: