"Cooking with the (Silent) Stars: The Violet Mersereau"
https://moviessilently.com/2017/08/31/cooking-with-the-silent-stars-the-violet-mersereau-sandwich/
"This sounded like a fairly acidic combination. I tried to ascertain whether Americans ate more green or black olives in 1915 and found this article stating that the east coast was obliged to eat green while California enjoyed black. The reason for this? The east coast imported their olives from Europe and unripe green olives traveled better. (At least according to the article, I have no clue how to transport an olive further than from the grocery store to my home.) California was an olive-growing region even back then and the shorter transport time meant that ripe olives were easy to obtain.
With that in mind, I decided to be historically accurate and as I live in California, I opted to use black olives. (But do read the olive article, which puts the existence green olives down to a conspiracy by Latin nations.)"
"California Cultivator"
No comments:
Post a Comment