Friday, August 30, 2019

What...is your purpose

Been up really late (someone tell my body it's not the middle of the day already) and had to harangue a beloved just a bit about the gender dynamics of his late night entertainment..just had to..it's life in a human body on planet Earth! LIFE IS SHORT.

And then dipped into a T. talk and now I gotta go to bed.

"13:00
Now, it's easier said than done, because I'm saying it now, but I'm telling you it's not easy in male culture for guys to challenge each other, which is one of the reasons why part of the paradigm shift that has to happen is not just understanding these issues as men's issues, but they're also leadership issues for men. Because ultimately, the responsibility for taking a stand on these issues should not fall on the shoulders of little boys or teenage boys in high school or college men. It should be on adult men with power. Adult men with power are the ones we need to be holding accountable for being leaders on these issues, because when somebody speaks up in a peer culture and challenges and interrupts, he or she is being a leader, really. But on a big scale, we need more adult men with power to start prioritizing these issues, and we haven't seen that yet, have we?

13:49
Now, I was at a dinner a number of years ago, and I work extensively with the US military, all the services. And I was at this dinner and this woman said to me -- I think she thought she was a little clever -- she said, "So how long have you been doing sensitivity training with the Marines?"

14:06
And I said, 'With all due respect, I don't do sensitivity training with the Marines. I run a leadership program in the Marine Corps.'"

https://www.ted.com/talks/jackson_katz_violence_against_women_it_s_a_men_s_issue/transcript#t-779191

No comments: