Wednesday, April 26, 2017

"Right fit"

It seems to me that in some environments, there is a higher percentage of men and women with feminist sensibilities. I have good reason to like being around men and women who also like to be around, work with, and help out all kinds of  women (not just the women who are the most like you or who are most like your mother.) Sometimes it's disappointing to discover that some women (who you thought might have been helpful and fun to work with) can be derogatory towards certain kinds of women, especially if they find that flattering bruised male egos will pay off for them in a monetary or ego-boosting way. It makes you think that if you'd met them under different circumstances, things would have gone a lot better.

Sometimes I'm still sad that in certain environments, where I had otherwise been enjoying myself, there are barriers. It seems like it has a lot to do with propping up some rather old-fashioned male-dominated power structures. This is the 21st century. Men are not necessarily less feminist than women in certain places, and thank god. I also have good reasons to like being around people who have a reasonable level of sensitivity when it comes to health issues. Why not? It's not that hard, is it? We're not all the same because that's how life works. There are people out there who can be more helpful. I am happy about that. Maybe I haven't talked about them enough. I probably should do that more because they are nifty souls to be around. 

No comments: