Sunday, June 07, 2015

Weight

This story I read with interest:

Everyone is Beautiful. Except You. You're Fat.

The author describes how she was treated before and after. Some people in my family have shared these experiences with me, too. I also was teased for being heavy as a child. I look back at pictures, and I wasn't really that heavy. But thin children thought I was. Maybe PCOS has something to do with it, but I never made the weight chart. EVER. Not even when I was "thin" for my size.

Age 21, walked everywhere, lacked money, didn't eat many fattening things, felt hungry oftener, got cold easily, bought smaller sizes of clothing, went abroad and got called "flaca." How much did I weigh then? At my personal peak of ADULT thinness, I probably wore size eight or six (maybe they were large sixes) and weighed 138 pounds. No one ever guessed I weighed that much.

Now, as I get older, people are often surprised at my age, too.

This is not something society of my youth would value in females, but this would be what some of us would say...

I'm older and heavier than you think.

No comments: