Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Twisted world

Listening to This American Life: Penn State and how people in town can't quite seem to process it. Very interesting. I was there a few times. They had good ice cream.
[And I think of the memoir Lucky. I know she went to Syracuse, but I thought she also might've mentioned Penn State in her book. I'm not sure. But how strange. There's a very old myspace page. It has photos. The captions say things like "Alice Sebold. Syracuse. The park i was raped in" And one says "Penn State, where i deeply regret going :("]
My own first memory of that place is from the 90s. Stuck inside, because stepfather's mother did not want me to go outside at night. Because of the rowdy fraternities. "Why not? How bad can they be?" my 14 or 15 year old self thought at the time.
Also, in the present, a fraternity is in the spotlight for a question about rape on a survey. Ok. BUT. What about all the times when date rape drugs got passed out amongst frat members and no one reported that? Or, even if it was reported, was it even followed up on?
Truly shocking how much that has happened.
It's a shame too.
Not everyone shares the same culture.

No comments: