Monday, July 05, 2010

Songs...

Lately I am so, so attached to the live LP versions on the second CD of To Venus and Back. Especially Little Earthquakes live, (which is not that version, though.) But how funny to get so attached when I didn't listen to it for a long time. I always have to listen to that CD in the car and it's been that way for weeks.
My former music teacher mother sometimes points out key changes because I asked her about them. I am told my voice is untrained but I have good pitch. Which means I can hear well enough to hit notes where they should be hit, mostly. I was an alto (actually, Alto II) in the choir and my voice is not as strong on really high notes, but I like (or love) to sing along when I listen to music in the car and I think it's important to at least try to hit the notes. It can be quite jarring to hear someone singing really out-of-key. Since that's my only musical outlet, sometimes I can almost get annoyed if I have to talk to someone instead of singing in the car, but I try to not get that way about it!
Off and on we had a piano in the house when I was growing up but I never really took to it. Too bad. I think I like singing best. It might've been nice to take voice/piano lessons. Also would've been a luxury, though. Circumstances just got in the way. No, I didn't get lots of free lessons from my single parent working mom. Time as well as money can be an issue. I was not a kid who did lots of extracurricular activities but I was in band for a little while. I wanted to play flute but they had too many and the band instructor and my mother made me take clarinet. I have an appreciation for it, and also played bass clarinet, which has completely different music a lot of the time. I am glad, but I might've stuck with it more if they let me play flute. Hell yeah I would have. Damn. Still, since I did develop an appreciation for clarinet and bass clarinet parts, I can't exactly be sorry!
Much of the time I was alone, or with my sister and cats, reading. Maybe I will take some lessons as an adult. Would love to study more about music, dance, painting, drawing, languages...

No comments: