Thursday, October 01, 2026

To be "relentlessly chipper and incurious" is an old pattern of behavior that's been passed down as a "safe" survival strategy, but it's actually not.

And also, the pastime of watching sports!

"Stephen must not have known what to do next. Charles and I were relentlessly chipper and incurious over the few days following the day he told us he was gay. We didn't ask any questions at all, apparently less interested than if he had told us he had read a good book, and I don't remember that Charles and I even discussed these new circumstances with each other.

In the evenings we sat with books before us, but we didn't read; it requires reflection. We watched any sports we could find on television. There was no refuge in anything else on TV, because we discovered right away that, in 1991, the most innocent of sitcoms almost invariably had a passive but definite anti-gay agenda. Trotting out a stereotypical gay man-- although rarely ever a lesbian-- was apparently always good for a laugh. Or at least it filled a little time in those generally mindless scripts. How had we not noticed and been offended by it before? We watched a lot of baseball."

~ Robb Forman Dew

Page 15 

"The Family Heart: A Memoir of When Our Son Came Out by Robb Forman Dew" | Goodreads

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/1123976.The_Family_Heart

I'm reading the physical hardcover book I bought for $1, but I might have to put it down and tend to the headache if it gets worse. I also read a bunch of online stuff earlier.


No comments: