Tuesday, October 08, 2024

This paints a picture.

 "I began the first Friday after the hurricane staring at the faces of worried neighbors who had been prepared to find my body. Midday, I traipsed through electric line-choked trees older than my great-grandparents and averted mudslides to get to a friend, just to put my arms around her. By sunset, before we knew anything about the death toll or a curfew, we walked down Haywood to get a glimpse of the French Broad River. She was furious, ravenous, still careening through the River Arts District. I could not look long. It felt like something I should not see, something intimate and private. It reminded me of a line from a poem by Ron Rash, a resident of western North Carolina: 'They cannot see a river / is a vein in God’s arm.'"

~ Morgan L. Sykes

"We’re still finding dead neighbors in North Carolina. We need help"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/oct/08/hurricane-helene-death-toll-government-response

No comments: