Saturday, September 30, 2023

A bizarre feet & work memory came back

When I was younger and my feet hurt after working a lot of hosting shifts in a restaurant, I was advised to leave to go and see a certain podiatrist by my stepfather. I told the managers I had to do this for my feet, and I left the restaurant to see the doctor. He was a young, blond guy who had moved to the area recently. He was very nice, and so were his female assistants. He took my "doesn't cover very much" insurance card & taped my feet and didn't charge me anything. He said he liked to go to the restaurant / bar where I worked, and seemed almost on the point of wanting to socialize with me. Well, my feet got taped up and padded and it was back to work for me. I think I might have said, "Don't you think I should just not stand on them so much?" Or was it, "Don't you think I should just go home?" No, nobody thought that. I never saw the lonely doctor again. I went back to work. "Are your feet better now?" a manager was smiling and laughing. I stayed for the rest of my shift. As I walked by some store windows that night on my taped up feet, I looked at my reflection and could not believe that this was my ridiculous life.

No comments: