Friday, October 28, 2016

Please and enough

Isn't it weird when you go out and find a little respite in nature and then thoughts start coming back to you in the car and ENOUGH!

Oh but first, do communicate them.

Here's one analogy...old boys network environments have a bad habit of reminding me of riding in the back of the bus during Jr. High. The back of the bus was dominated by boys, and they got gross. Like, not even a little gross. A lot gross. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if everyone of them is making 5x more $$ than I am right now. Anyways, I got disgusted with their treatment and chose not to sit back there any longer. But some girls stayed. Really? Why? Are you that desperate for approval? I can hear myself thinking. This was decades ago.

 That's just one thought. I had another. I remember being in a particular sort of patriarchal household as a visitor, and the father was held in high esteem and he could be very nice. But when he did something imperfectly...when he messed up...he would stomp out, and the mother would yell at the daughter to clean up after him. Literally. I remember something as simple as a dish being broken was enough to ruin the man's composure. Then the mom would yell at the daughter and she would sadly sweep up the pieces. Why was this a dynamic in that family? I started thinking about it. Well, dad was the breadwinner, right? So if he's happy, the rest of the family can be happy too, right? But what if he's not happy? Uh oh.

This is how, in some patriarchal households, the supposed "head" of the table becomes the de facto infant.

No comments: