Sunday, May 31, 2015

Whoops

This is what I thought was happening:

An older teenage boy appeared to sit a small child with long hair on the edge of a wall where there was a steep, scary drop. I was walking right towards the situation. I got a sense of dread and hoped that it would not continue, but it did. The older person kept the child there, as the child was squirming to get off, and the older person kept asking, "Do you want to fall? Do you want to fall?" I was hoping this would not continue, as memories of bullying by older boys flashed through my mind, but instead, it escalated as I walked towards them. (I had to, to get to the entrance.)

So I asked this "teenage boy" if "he" was threatening to push the child off the wall and the person responded, "Yes I am. Mind your own fucking business." I was also told not to butt into their business, and I should try having my own children. That's when I began to realize I was probably talking to the kid's mom.

Eeeeee....yeah...So, maybe threatening to make your kid fall off a wall is an aggressive parenting technique? It looked horrifying.

I don't have my own kids, but I did have a younger sibling that I  was kind of "in charge of" a lot, as our parents had to be away for long periods of time when we were growing up, and I thought to myself, did I ever think it was a good idea to sit her on the edge of a wall and threaten to make her fall?

No...

It was a strange encounter.

No comments: